Monday, April 11, 2016

Puppy Fever

I promise she's as excited as I am.
As a child, I was not much of an animal person, much to the dismay of my mother. She had worked for a veterinarian throughout high school and college and had kept pets consistently ever since. Even though I always had dogs growing up (as well as hermit crabs, a cat, guinea pigs, a rabbit, a hedgehog, and countless goldfish...) I never formed a close connection with them. Though I was fond of them, they were just bodies around the house.

One of the changes I have gone through this year is realizing how much I took my dogs for granted. The more I see 4-Paws therapy dogs around campus, the more I miss my own pup. Over spring break, Easter, and my sickness, my dog has sat loyally by my side and offered me unprecedented comfort. Deeka is a pure bred mutt, with no discernable features from any particular breed. She is extremely gentle and loves affection. Her hobbies include but are not limited to: sleeping, lying in the sunlight, getting her belly rubbed, and chasing groundhogs. She is the smallest dog I have ever had, weighing in at a meager 45 lbs, but thinks she is big enough to get in fights with her late sister, a Rottweiler twice her size. I firmly believe that, if I were a dog, I would be just like her.

Nowadays when I'm feeling down, I seek out the therapy dogs on campus (Babs is my favorite but please do not tell Primrose). When that does not work out, I look up pictures of puppies or other cute animals to help cheer myself up. I have not quite pinpointed what it is that changed my attitude towards animals, but I am certainly not complaining.

Do you all have pets? What are they? What are their names? I want to hear all about them!

Until next time!

Kathryn

3 comments:

  1. Talking about my dogs is what I was born to do! The day we finally convinced my Dad to get a dog was probably the best day of my life and Macy was probably the best first dog I could have ever asked for. I remember when I was little, I would sit down next to her while she was lying down and read her stories. She passed away my freshman year of high school and it was a really sad time. She now rests forever in our backyard. Sophomore year we adopted our current dog, Mocha, from a local shelter who recently had her 4th birthday in March. I force her to sleep in my room even though I know she would rather sleep in my parent's room. Anyway, that's enough rambling because I could go on and on, but it's true that they are always there for, even on your worst days and that's what makes pets so special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a warming post. I have always been a dog lover and have always grown up around dogs. The first dog I had was a poodle and shitzu mix. She passed on when I was about 12, but then we upgraded to a Newfoundland female named Bella. She was about 140lbs fully grown and was nothing, but I big black bear. We had to give her up for adoption just because we did not have room for her. Then after, we got abother Newfoundland, but this time a male and he ended up weighing about 150lbs. I have always been a big dog person so these two fit so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of buying a puppy more since I'm getting close to graduation. I know I'm probably going to be living on my own. I hate being alone, so I think a puppy is the best option. I've always wanted an English bulldog, so I think it's time to finally get one.

    ReplyDelete